COVID-19 RELIEF FOR CHARITIES AND NON-PROFITS
In this scary and confusing time, we are so impressed to see charities and non-profits stepping up, doing everything possible to make life bearable for the people you support. Thank you for everything you do.
With everything you are doing, it can be almost impossible to keep track of the new benefits, tax changes, credits and other supports being created to help you and your organization.
There is a ton of information out there and we hope this quick summary will help you find your way through it. Please note that while this page is current as of April 28, 2020, but things are changing on a regular basis. Up to date information can be found at canada.ca and ontario.ca.
We know your hands are full. If we can help you in any way, we are here.
So much traditional fundraising is dependent on personal contact and events. We are working with our clients and friends to optimize existing non-contact fundraising and to create new programs and methods. Let us know if we can help.
Tax Deferral & Relief - Federal
T3010 Filing Deadline – Deferral to December 31, 2020
For all charities with a Registered Charity Information Return due between March 18, 2020, and December 31, 2020, regardless of charity’s normal filing deadline.
T1044 Filing Deadline – Deferral to June 1, 2020
For non-profit corporations with information returns due between March 18 and May 31, 2020.
GST/HST Remittances – Deferral of Payments until June 30, 2020
For remittances in February, March and April (if you file monthly), Jan1-March 31, 2020 (if you file quarterly), and amounts owing for previous fiscal year/installments (if you file annually).
Business Income Tax for Social Enterprises – Deferral of Payments until August 31, 2020
Applies to any tax balances due, including installments, with no accumulation of interest or penalties.
Tax Deferral & Relief - Ontario
Ontario Employer Health Tax Exemption
Increases Employer Health Tax exemption to $1M from previous $490,000, retroactive to January 1, 2020.
Ontario Provincial Business Taxes – Interest and Penalty Relief April 1-August 31, 2020
For businesses/charities unable to file/remit select taxes on time. For five months, penalties and interest will not apply to Ontario businesses that miss any filing or remittance deadline under select provincial taxes.
Support Programs - Federal
Work-Sharing Program — Extension from 38 to 76 weeks
Offered to workers who agree to reduce working hours and share available work when normal business activity is temporarily interrupted due to outside forces, as a means of reducing employee layoffs.
Temporary 10% Wage Subsidy for Employers – March 18-June 19, 2020
Allows organizations to obtain up to 10% of payroll costs incurred during set period. Maximum claim amount is $1,375/employee, and up to $25,000/employer.
Canada Emergency Wage Subsidy – March 15-June 6, 2020
Covers 75% of salaries for up to 3 months, to a maximum of $847/week per employee, for organizations able to prove a 15% decline in revenues in March and 30% thereafter. Employers may also be eligible for a 100% refund for certain employer-paid contributions to Employment Insurance and Canada Pension Plan.
Canadian Emergency Response Benefit – March 15-September 26, 2020
Supports people whose personal monthly income has been reduced to $1,000 or less due to COVID-19. Provides $2,000/month for up to 4 months. Relevant to charities who are not eligible for CEWS but whose operations have been directly affected by pandemic.
Canada Emergency Business Account – Business Credit
To give charities with 2019 payrolls of $25,000-$1.5 M access to interest-free loans of up to $40,000 to help cover operating costs; 25% of loan (up to $10,000) will be forgiven if loan repaid by December 31, 2022. Applications made through regular financial institution.
SME Loan and Guarantee Program (Business Credit) for Social Enterprises
Co-Lending Program managed by Business Development Bank of Canada, providing business credit amounts of up to $6.25M.
Federal Support for Food Banks/Local Food Organizations
- $50M through Food Banks Canada Learn more…
- $ 5M through Salvation Army Learn more…
- $ 5M through Second Harvest/Food Rescue Learn more…
- $ 5M through Community Food Centres Canada Learn more…
- $ 5M through Breakfast Club of Canada Learn more…
Federal Support for Women’s Shelters and Sexual Assault Centres
- Up to $10M for Indigenous Services Canada’s network of 46 emergency shelters on reserve, delivered through ISC’s Family Violence Prevention Program.
- Up to $26M to Women’s Shelters Canada for distribution to 575 violence against women shelters across Canada.
- Up to $4M to Canadian Women’s Foundation for distribution to sexual assault centres across Canada
Federal Support for Cultural, Heritage and Sport Organizations — $500M
To help address financial needs of organizations within these sectors so they can continue to support artists and athletes. Administered through Department of Canadian Heritage.
Federal Emergency Community Support Fund — $350M
To support vulnerable Canadians through charities and non-profits that deliver essential services to those in need. Administered by national organizations, including United Way Canada, Canadian Red Cross, and Community Foundations of Canada., fund supports:
- Increasing volunteer-based home deliveries of groceries and medications
- Transportation services (driving seniors or persons with disabilities to appointments)
- Scaling up help lines that provide information and support
- Helping vulnerable Canadians access government benefits
- Providing training, supplies, and other supports to volunteers
- Facilitating virtual contact through phone calls, texts, teleconferences, or Internet
Support Programs - Ontario
Ontario Electricity Rate Relief for Small Businesses/Charities
Time-of-use electricity rates will be suspended, holding prices to off-peak rate of 10.1 cents /kw-hour for 45 days, 24/7.
Ontario WSIB Premium Deferral
Employers covered by WSIB workplace insurance can defer premium reporting and payments until August 31, 2020. No interest will accrue on outstanding premium payments and no penalties will be charged during six-month deferral period.
Ontario Social Services Relief Funding — $200M
For municipalities and social service providers — shelters, food banks, emergency services, charities and nonprofits. Includes expanded Emergency Assistance program to help individuals who do not qualify for federal emergency financial supports, and discretionary benefits for those who already receive social assistance. Administered through Consolidated Municipal Service Managers, District Social Services Administration Boards and Indigenous Program Administrators (https://www.ontario.ca/page/list-ontario-municipalities#section-3).
Ontario COVID-19 Residential Relief Fund — $40M
To support residential service providers and help address current financial and service delivery pressures. Gives agencies financial flexibility to shift funding within organization and across program areas. Provided upon request.
Associations & Organizations
United Way of Greater Toronto – Emergency Frontline Funding
For non-profit, charitable organizations providing front-line supports to vulnerable York Region residents during COVID-19 pandemic.
- Local Love Fund – funding for necessities of life, technology, staff or volunteers and other equipment.
Contact Rubaiyat Karim at RKarim@uwgt.org.
- Reaching Home – Federal emergency funding of $3M for homelessness.
Contact Christine Hill at email@example.com.
- Seniors Fund – $850,000 for seniors’ emergency funding (expanding meals on wheels, providing culturally appropriate food, etc. Request for proposals issued April 17, 2020.
Contact Maja Mikarovska at MMikarovska@uwgt.org
Ontario Community Support Association — Ontario Community Support Program
Funding available to eligible organizations who are NOT Meals on Wheels providers but may have resources/capacity (transportation, refrigeration, volunteers, etc) to deliver additional meals, groceries, medications and other essentials to low-income seniors and people with disabilities and chronic medical conditions across Ontario.
Indigo Love of Reading Community Response Fund
- Up to $25,000 for children’s books and literacy resources in high-needs communities
- Applications due May 1, 2020
Mazon Canada Emergency COVID-19 Grants
For food-aid projects facing increased demand, low food supplies, or significant funding losses.
TechSoup – Discount on Zoom Platform
For non-profits with operating budgets under $10M. who need video/web conferencing capabilities and webinar/room connector software.
LogMeIn – Free Product for 3 months
Emergency Remote Work Kits include videoconferencing/webinar products, IT support, management of staff devices/applications, remote access to devices in multiple locations.
Since 2008, Gladstone Consulting has been helping not-for-profits and charities by:
- Developing prospect lists that match their projects with the funding priorities of a wide range of government ministries and private/corporate foundations;
- Writing full applications on their behalf;
- Using our in-depth knowledge of funders’ requirements to put the finishing touches on draft applications; and
- Providing proposal-writing advice and guidance on what is – and isn’t – going to appeal to funders.
In the past seven years, we’ve obtained well over $12 million in grant dollars for our clients.
We look forward to hearing from you.